Wednesday, August 17, 2011

OMG This Still Exists

So back in the 1990s when Alicia Silverstone was, like, the coolest ever, she went on Letterman or something like that wearing a nail polish by a little company called Hard Candy. Of course, as soon as she said the name, demand skyrocketed. Everyone wanted Hard Candy nail polish, especially in Sky, the color Alicia was wearing on Letterman. I'm fairly certain demand exceeded production ability, which is why they kind of fell off the map. But for a little while there, Hard Candy was pretty much the coolest thing ever.

I didn't know all of that because I was, like, 13 or something, but look what I have, vintage 1996:



No kidding. This is a 15-year-old bottle of nail polish. It's still wearable. But I guess I'd hope it would last a while with this kind of price tag:


My limit for what I can spend on a bottle of nail polish without feeling (too) guilty is about $10. This cost $12 in 1996. Yeah, it was that cool. My mom bought me this polish and also let me get my ears pierced a second time, so she was pretty awesome for a day or two after that until I went back to being a normal teenager again.

Anyway, Hard Candy is apparently making a comeback of sorts. Surprisingly, most of their stuff is makeup now. Go figure. But I recently learned that they do still have a line of nail polish, which is sold exclusively at Wal-mart. Isn't that bizarre? They went from being the coolest thing ever to disappearing to having a Wal-mart nail polish line. Weird. Anyway, when I found this out, of course I had to buy some to try it out. Obviously, I went for this color first:


This is Sky, vintage 2011. Yes, I bought the same color. I'm way excited to see the difference between them. This bottle of nail polish cost me $4. Talk about a price difference! I expect cheap nail polish, but then again, the original stuff was a matte finish, which means it did not wear well. So we'll see how it goes. Oh, and check out the super awesome plastic ring that came with it:


There was one with the 1996 bottle too, but I clearly lost that about 15 years ago.


This is the two side by side. For some reason I find this whole thing totally hilarious. Is it because I'm delirious from lack of sleep? Most likely. Here's my other color (called Beetle):


I dare you to tell me what color this is. It appears to be brown/green/orange/yellow/red/purple. I have no idea where to put that in my nail polish color continuum. It came with a ring too, but it's reflective, so it looked like it had a picture of a very small girl with a very small camera whenever I tried to take a picture. 

I'm sure I'll post more about this as soon as I try the colors, but I was super excited. I have two of the same nail polish with a 15-year age difference between them. Awesome.


No comments:

Post a Comment